It is essential to know how to secure your patio furniture from the wind, especially if you reside in coastal regions. Harsh winds are capable of ripping apart structures and causing damage.
Secure it to the ground, erect wind barriers, or take it indoors during high wind to prevent your patio furniture from being damaged by the wind.
Everybody loves the gentle breeze in their backyard. However, it can be disastrous when it becomes a high, disrupting moment. The wind can be a big problem for patio furniture. It can blow over chairs, tables, and other pieces of patio furniture, and it can also cause damage to them.
There are various ways to secure and prevent your furniture from wind, regardless of the type of furniture you have.
Whether you’re planning to host a large event or want to avoid your patio furniture being blown over by the next big thunderstorm, below are some tips to secure your patio furniture from the wind.
- 1 How to Secure Patio Furniture from Wind
- 1.1 Build a fence or use a tree.
- 1.2 Anchor your furniture to the ground.
- 1.3 Screen in your patio area.
- 1.4 Use sandbags
- 1.5 Create a gazebo over your patio set.
- 1.6 Bungee cords
- 1.7 Tie patio furniture together
- 1.8 Tie patio furniture to a base or tree
- 1.9 Add a heavy-duty outdoor furniture cover.
- 1.10 Use Straps
- 1.11 Invest in heavy furniture
- 1.12 Take furniture indoor
- 2 How to keep patio furniture cover from blowing away
- 3 How to Secure Patio Furniture to Concrete
- 4 How to Secure Patio Furniture from Wind FAQs
How to Secure Patio Furniture from Wind
Spring is the time for outdoor entertaining and patio furniture. But if you don’t take a few minutes to secure your outdoor furniture, it could be blown away by the first big wind storm of the season.
There are various ways to protect your outdoor furniture from the wind, which are listed below;
Build a fence or use a tree.
Blocking the wind from disrupting your patio area is one of the best ways to keep the wind from blowing away your furniture. If you live in an area with a lot of wind, it might be worth investing in some windbreak for your patio furniture.
A fence or even a tree can help protect your outdoor living space from the forces of nature. A fence is a great way to keep the elements out and add some style to your outdoor space, but not every yard has enough space for one.
If you’re looking for something more stylish than a fence, you can use evergreen shrubs or trees to block the wind from blowing in your direction. These shrubs can be pruned to enhance the beauty of your space.
Evergreen shrubs and trees do not shed their leaves during winter, so you are guaranteed wind blockage and privacy all year. Grow these plants around your patio to help block out any gusty wind.
There are many advantages of having these plants and trees around your home, so you might want to consider this first when preventing your furniture from blowing away.
Anchor your furniture to the ground.
Anchor each leg separately. It can be tempting to try and anchor all four legs at once using only one stake, but this can lead to instability issues. Instead, use an anchor for each leg to firmly secure each piece in place by its stake or anchor.
Choose the right materials for the job. If you’re using metal stakes or anchors, make sure they’re made from sturdy materials like galvanized steel or aluminum; these materials will hold up better against heavy wind gusts than wood or plastic ones.
Screen in your patio area.
If you have a patio, you may have noticed that it’s especially vulnerable to the wind. Sometimes just a few moments of strong wind can cause damage to your patio furniture. If you don’t want to build a fence, screening in your patio area is great to keep the wind out of your face and furniture.
You can screen your patio area with glass, wooden lattice, or chicken wire. This will also help prevent critters from getting into your outdoor space.
If you’re worried about keeping bugs out of your home but don’t want to screen your entire patio area, consider covering just one side of your patio with lattice or chicken wire and leaving the other side open so breezes can still flow through freely during warmer months.
It’s also a good idea to screen in areas susceptible to high winds, such as mountain areas and coastal regions. If you live in a location with strong winds, consider screening in all of your outdoor spaces to enjoy them year-round.
Sandbags are a great way to secure patio furniture from the wind, and they are an inexpensive way to prevent your furniture from being blown over by the wind. They’re also easy to set up and use; here’s how:
- Get some sandbags from your local hardware store (or make them yourself). You’ll need one for each leg of your furniture.
- Place them under each leg of your patio set, so they’re evenly distributed across all four legs of the table or chairs.
- Fill each bag with enough sand to weigh down the legs enough so that they won’t blow away in the wind (but not so much that they’re too heavy for them!). The exact weight doesn’t matter too much. Just ensure it feels sturdy enough for what you want it for.
- If you don’t have sandbags, you can use rocks or bricks instead.
Create a gazebo over your patio set.
Gazebos are an excellent way to protect outdoor furniture from wind and are also great for providing privacy and shade. Gazebos come in many different styles, so you can find one that fits your tastes and decor.
They can be made of wood, metal, or even concrete blocks in some cases. The best part about building them is that it doesn’t have to be an expensive project; you can do it yourself with some basic tools and materials that you already have lying around your home.
If you’re looking for something more elaborate and professional-looking, there are plenty of companies that specialize in this type of work.
Bungee cords can be purchased at any hardware store and are an excellent way to keep your patio furniture in place. The cords are elastic, so they will stretch as the wind picks up and then tighten when the wind stops.
If you have a large area of the furniture to cover, you may want to purchase multiple bungee cords; one cord can typically hold up to 50 lbs. If your furniture weighs more than this, you will need multiple bungees.
They work well for securing furniture because they don’t leave any marks behind when they’re removed. To use them, wrap them around the legs of your furniture and hook them to the ground.
- Attach one end of the cord to an anchor point on the patio. If you have a fence or railing, this is a good place to start.
- Connect the other end of the cord to your patio furniture, the leg of a chair or table, then pull tight until it is secure.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each piece of furniture you want to secure with bungee cords
Alternatively, loop one end of the cord through the middle of all furniture pieces and then hook the other end onto another chair or table leg.
Tie patio furniture together
Securing patio furniture to each is another great way to keep your outdoor seating stable and secure.
To do this, you will need:
- Look for areas in the frame that have holes or loose places.
- Use the zip ties and screwdriver to secure the furniture to each other.
You may have to drill holes into furniture without holes to secure them together. Another process of securing your furniture is highlighted below.
- A piece of rope or twine
- A large screwdriver or Phillips head screwdriver (depending on the type of screws on your furniture)
- A drill
The first step is to find out what type of screws are holding your furniture together. If they are Phillips head screws, use a Phillips head screwdriver for this step. If they are flathead screws, use a large flathead screwdriver or a drill bit that fits those types of screws.
Once you have identified which type of screw you will need to use, plug in your drill and put the metal part into the hole where the screw should go.
Then turn it until it hits metal and stop there. Next up is securing all of your pieces together with rope or twine as tightly as possible so that wind cannot blow them apart again.
Alternatively, use a hammer and two nails per leg to secure the legs together at their bases. You can also use screws instead of nails if you prefer not to have any holes visible in your furniture’s legs.
Tie patio furniture to a base or tree
Another way to secure your furniture is to tie it to a base or railing around your patio. This can be done using zip ties, rope, or bouge cord.
Run the cord through each leg of the furniture and then attach it to a strong base such as a railing tree or wall. This will keep your furniture from blowing away in even the strongest winds.
You can also use rope or twine for this purpose, but make sure that it’s long enough so that if one end of the rope comes loose, it doesn’t pull on the other side and cause damage or injury.
Also, tie a rope around the base of each piece of furniture, then run the rope around a stake in the ground and back to the chair. Use a knot that will not slip when tightened, such as a bowline.
Add a heavy-duty outdoor furniture cover.
A good quality, heavy-duty outdoor furniture cover will protect your patio furniture from wind, rain, and water damage and the sun’s damaging rays. It will also help keep away mold and mildew growth on your patio set.
This type of cover is made from woven polyester fabric with UV protection to prevent fading and cracking, making it ideal for outdoor use. The seams are double-stitched and reinforced at stress points for added durability and weight to keep your furniture down and last many years.
The covers should fit snugly around your furniture so that nothing can get in underneath or through any gaps in the material. You may want to consider using tape around the edges of the cover to make sure that it stays in place when winds pick up during storms.
However, if you fail to install or cover your furniture properly, it can lead to your furniture being blown away easily. Wind can go underneath the tarp and uncover your furniture.
One of the easiest ways to secure outdoor furniture is with straps. You should be able to find these at any hardware store.
They come in various sizes and can be attached easily to most types of patio furniture by wrapping them around the legs of the table or chair and then fastening them with screws or nuts from inside the leg hole.
Make sure you don’t overtighten these straps because they could damage your furniture if too much pressure is applied over time.
Invest in heavy furniture
Heavy patio furniture will not be affected by wind as much as lightweight furniture. This means that heavy furniture will stay in place and not blow over as easily. Furniture made from wrought iron, steel, and wrought aluminum will be heavy and may not likely get damaged during gusty winds.
Investing in heavy patio chairs and tables will help you keep your furniture safe from the elements, especially if you live in an area that experiences high winds frequently.
Take furniture indoor
This is a great option for those who have a shed or garage. You can store your furniture there and not worry about it blowing away in the wind. This is one of the easier ways of storing lightweight outdoor furniture, as they are portable.
With this, you don’t have to bother about how gusty the wind can be or check from time to time to know if the wind has blown away your furniture. Taking your furniture indoors is also a good way to secure your furniture during the winter month.
How to keep patio furniture cover from blowing away
It’s no secret that patio furniture covers can be a pain. They’re big, bulky, and heavy, and they’re not exactly meant to stay up in the wind. But if you want your patio set protected from rain, snow, and sun, you can’t just leave it unprotected.
Here’s how to keep your patio furniture cover from blowing away:
- Use stakes that are designed for large items like this. Put the stakes close together to hold the cover down on all sides of the furniture set.
- Add weights to the corners of your cover, so they don’t blow away in the wind. You can use sandbags, bricks, or rocks in each corner of your cover and weigh them down, so they don’t get blown away by strong winds.
- You can anchor the cover to the ground using stakes and ropes. You can use stakes designed specifically for patio furniture covers or use ones you have lying around the house.
How to Secure Patio Furniture to Concrete
Securing your furniture to concrete can be difficult without the right tools and information. Here are a few tips that’ll help you do just that:
- Use concrete screws: Concrete screws are specially designed to be used with concrete and are much stronger than standard wood screws. They work by drilling through the base of your furniture and into the ground, making it harder for someone to steal or move your patio furniture without you knowing about it.
- Use lag bolts and washers instead of regular bolts or screws. Lag bolts are made with a wider head on one end so they can be inserted into the wood without splitting it apart as regular bolts do; they also have threads on both sides so they can be turned into place as needed without having to be removed first as regular bolts would require.
- If possible, use metal brackets instead of wooden ones because metal brackets will hold up better over time than wooden ones. However, if you don’t have access to metal brackets, then make sure that whatever kind you use is rated for outdoor use (you can find this information on their packaging).
- Use stakes and rope: This is a good option if you only have one or two pieces of furniture and don’t have any stakes lying around that could be used. Hammer some stakes into the ground, wrap them with rope or paracord, or even twine, and tie them around each leg of your patio set; then hammer in nails or screws into those same stakes so they don’t fall out while you’re driving them into the ground!
How to Secure Patio Furniture from Wind FAQs
What to Do if Your Outdoor Furniture Blows Away?
If you fail to secure your furniture during high wind properly, there are possibilities that it will get blown away.
When this happens, there is a high chance that your furniture will get damaged, especially if you are using wooden furniture. after a gusty wind and you notice your furniture is blown away by it, below are some steps you should take
- Check around the neighborhood for it.
- Check for damages and fix them, if possible.
- If this is not possible, you will need to get a replacement.
- If your furniture is insured, you may have to report immediately to your company.
What to Do with Patio Furniture Cushions in High Winds?
The best thing to secure your patio cushion during high wind is to take them indoors. Pillow and cushions are more lightweight and can easily get carried away by the wind. So when it is about to get windy, always take your cushion indoors.
You can also store your cushion inside a box underneath your patio furniture if your furniture has one. Another good way is to secure your cushion to the furniture by tying the cushions using its straps.
These straps come with some cushions to prevent them from slipping. These can also be used to prevent the cushion from blowing away.
How to Secure Outdoor Furniture in a Hurricane?
Hurricanes are some of the strongest storms that can hit your area, and they can cause significant damage to your home, including your patio furniture.
If you have a deck or patio exposed to high winds, you’ll need to secure it so that it doesn’t blow away or collapse. The best way to secure your furniture during a hurricane is to take your furniture indoors.
Can I Tie Outdoor Furniture to a Patio Support Beam?
Yes, you can tie outdoor furniture to a patio support beam. This is especially useful if you have a lot of windy days or want to make sure your outdoor furniture doesn’t blow away.
Depending on how much wind there is and how sturdy your patio support beam is, you may want to use more than one tie point. You might also consider using an additional support beam to further stabilize the structure.
Lastly, ensure you’re using the right knots and following all safety precautions for tying down sheets, blankets, and other items that high winds could damage.