The truth is many of us are guilty of spying on our neighbors while they spend time outdoors. In contrast, we hate it more when we find out that they are also spying on us. When this becomes a habit, how to make the outdoor living area or our apartment balcony private is usually the next thing that comes to mind.
Using balcony railings cover for privacy and an awning that provides defense from weather elements, such as the sun, rain and many more would give you the privacy and comfort you desire.
However, this may not be applicable to every balcony depending on the structure of balcony you have; listed below are the other way can more you balcony private.
It is no lie that we all love to enjoy our private life especially in the company of our loved ones. Having an enclosed balcony or other outdoor living areas gives you the freedom you need to gallivant around securely without prying eyes.
Generally, making the balcony private requires building, which is tricky and requires proper planning, so you don’t damage the outdoor space or attract wrath from your neighbors if there are any.
When proper planning is put in place, you will know what type of screen will work best for your balcony area.
While planning, it is crucial to consider the extent of the weather elements in that area.
An area with high wind or storm will require more careful and professional Fixing. Below are some screens you can use for your balcony and tips on making an apartment balcony private.
- 1 DIY Balcony Privacy Screen Ideas
- 2 Outdoor Screen to Make Your Balcony Private
- 3 Conclusion
DIY Balcony Privacy Screen Ideas
The below video will show you different ways you can make your balcony or small outdoor area private and comfortable.
Some of the materials used in this video are listed below. With these ideas, you can upgrade and enhance the look of the small outdoor space.
Outdoor Screen to Make Your Balcony Private
There are different types of materials one can use to make the balcony private. Many of these screens require installation and can be done by anyone.
However, some of this screen might require expert input for their installation, some of the balcony privacy options are
1. Balcony cover
- 100% Balcony View Protection -- The balcony screen is made of HDPE, which can provide up to 99% visibility reduction. Besides, it has features of high visibility and reducing heavy duty.
- High-quality HDPE material -- 210 gsm HDPE special fabrics is stronger than the normal 160 gsm balcony screen! 210 gsm privacy screen is tear-resistant, weather-resistant, sun- resistant, fast drying, and easy care. Protects your privacy and suitable for all weather conditions, like hot weather, windy, rain, snow, cold etc.
- Reinforced Edges & Durable Construction -- The edges are double stitched to prevent tears. The balcony screen is sun protection to prevent damage from long time sun blockage.
If you are you are interested in half screening your balcony, the balcony cover is one of the best choices for you. This privacy cloth is easy to install and can be done by anyone; there is no need for technical know-how.
Concern about the durability of this balcony cover? this material is made to withstand any form of weather elements to ascertain it is durable and suitable for outdoor use. Unlike regular materials, the balcony cover is designed to prevent tears which enhances the longevity of the cover.
Furthermore, this cover can be utilized for different purposes such as blocking wind, sun, and other areas of the home.
2. Using a retractable screen
- This simple yet stylish side awning creates a cosy little nook while providing the privacy you need in your terrace, patio or balcony.
- It can also help protect people from the wind and low-lying sun. The screen is made of UV- and tear-resistant polyester.
- The cassette is installed on a sturdy iron base in the vertical position, and the retractable awning can be easily pulled straight out.
This comes with a lot of flexibility, making it more ideal to use around the balcony. This screen is easy to install and use.
If you have railings installed on your balcony, it will be easier to use this screen. This retractable screen can also be installed behind the railings depending on how you feel it is best.
To use the screen when the weather is unpleasant or when privacy is needed only requires pulling out and fixing it to its pole. No maintenance is required for having this screen installed on your balcony.
3. Making use of Blinds
- UV PROTECTION & WINDPROOF & SAFE: The cordless design is friendly to children and pets. Light Filtering fabric can reduce heat and UV. Windproof accessories at the bottom to prevent the roller shades from swinging. Better choice for outdoor garden, back yard and balcony.
- CUSTOMIZE: Outdoor custom window roller shade, custom width is 20" to 94" wide and custom length is 30" to 118" long. We will double confirm the order information please reply the e-mail in 24 hours when you placed the order. If we don't get your reply, the window shade will be made as the size you ordered.
- INSIDE MOUNT: Measure the width and length inside of the window frame. Select the window width and length to make the order. We remove 0.2 Inch when producing the roller shade. Window depth need more than 2 Inches, otherwise please choose outside mount.
Making use of blinds is another of making the outdoor private. Blinds are flexing in style and design.
Also, blinds help to improve the look of the outdoor area, balcony, or anywhere it is placed. It adds humor while also making it private and comfortable to use.
There different types of blinds you can use around the outdoor area. You can either make it half or full blinds, depending on your balcony design.
With this, you can roll up or roll down as pleased to have a comfortable outdoor area.
Also, blinds do not require much maintenance as they are made of durable and weather-resistant material.
This is to ensure they are suitable for outdoor use and do not get affected by weather elements
- PACKAGE INCLUDED - The package contains 1 blackout curtain panel. Same color back as the front. STAINLESS STEEL GROMMET on the top with 1.6" inner diameter, which fits most standard curtain rods.
- THERMAL INSULATING - Triple wave materials is heavy duty and soft enough, which can block 85-95 sunlight. Curtains can repel summer heat and winter cold while protect your funiture from being exposed to the sun slightly.
- 100% PRIVACY - This outdoor curtain is a real sense of separation & privacy which benefits both yours and your neighbors. Handy to versatile use in the outdoors indoors conditions.
Installing curtains is easy; however, it requires frequent maintenance to keep it looking good. This is because curtains tend to get dirty when used outdoor as a result of exposure to elements.
Nonetheless, curtains are flexible when installed in the outdoor area. It can be used when the weather is not friendly or when privacy is needed.
Also, maintaining these curtains is cheap compared to other ways of making the balcony private. Additionally, curtains come in different colors and designs to enhance the look of the outdoor area.
5. Bamboo and Reeds
- Please note: Shipping box size you receive will be smaller than product size as rods come in sections that needs to be screwed together. For shade size 7ft x 6ft and 8ft x 6ft, shipping box only measures 4ft long. For 6ft x 6ft and 5ft x 6ft, shipping box only measures 3ft long.
- Sunshades Depot roller shade was designed to provide shade and privacy for your porch, gazebo, patio, back yard, deck, balcony or other outdoor enjoyment spaces, allowing you to enjoy your patio or porch throughout the day without the sun beating on you.
- Breathable Fabric- Made of high quality polyethylene –Provide up to 90% UV protection, keep your space much cooler and light filtering fabric without completely darkening your space.
Suppose you are thinking of giving your outdoor space an ancient feel and look. Then bamboo fences and reeds are the most ideal.
The bamboo or reeds requires little maintenance and usually durable and sturdy when used for this purpose. Reeds are usually woven and in tiny pieces when compiled to bamboo.
Over time, there is a possibility of the bamboo losing its feel and changing in color. However, this is not a problem as it can be corrected using a wood seal.
The application of bamboo as a privacy screen is versatile. This makes it more appealing when a little touch of creativity is added.
6. Glass screen
The is the use of tempered glass to privatize the balcony. The installation of this type of screen usually requires the input of an expert. You can either make it a full screen or half rail then you support it with curtains or blinds.
Supporting it with curtains or blinds
It is necessary to know that a full glass screen without curtains or blinds will leave the outdoor space exposed.
For this reason, when you think of screening your balcony, making use of half-screen rails is better. With that, you can use various wind blockers or sunshades to make the area comfortable.
Complimenting it with curtains and bamboo will allow for the passage of fresh air. Also, you can roll up and roll down to make the outdoor area more comfortable.
How to hang curtains on the apartment balcony
Hanging curtains on the balcony can be stressful and, at the same time, simple without much stress. This will be determined by the type or shape of the balcony in your home.
Some balconies have a frame or roof-like structure, making screening the environment easy. While some may be totally open, making it difficult to install or build screens on them.
For a balcony with a frame or rooflike hanging a curtain will not take much of your time. To do this, you need some of these accessories depending on how you want your outdoor area to look like.
- Brackets or Nails
Depending on the resource you have and how you want your balcony to look will determine which one to use. These nails and brackets both servers the same purpose.
The nail and the back are used to hold the rope or rod where the curtains will be placed. The brackets will give the outdoor area a classic look, but most time is not usually necessary.
These nails or brackets will be fixed at the two-end corner where the curtain will be placed.
- Tension Rods, Galvanized Pipes or Ropes
These accessories can be used to hang the curtain to give it a firm grip on the outdoor space. It also makes adjusting the curtain easy to enhance the comfort of the outdoor area.
7. Wooden screen
Installing a wooden screen can be stressful to put in place and also fun at the same time. Building a wooden fence if there are technical know-how and tools available can be done personally.
If not, it is necessary to seek the help of a professional. The flexibility of wood in blocking in making the balcony private is next to none.
Woods can be fixed stylishly to beautify the outdoor space. Sometimes adding some creativity by including some carved wood would do a lot of magic.
Furthermore, wood does not require any form of maintenance, as they are suitable for any weather.
To better enhance this wood’s longevity, you can seal or coat it, improving the feel of the wood and space.
8. Outdoor plants
Another way to make the balcony private is the use of plants. I believe all balconies are usually guarded to ensure they are safe to use.
You can then extend the railing and make it a fence. When this is done, plant a flower that would arch through the railing poles, thus making the outdoor area private.
There are many advantages of having plants around the home, and with this, you are just about to tap from suck advantage.
For this purpose, plants such as Jasmine are the best as they can withstand several weather changes.
However, maintain plants can be tedious as it requires frequent watering to keep it nourish for proper development.
These are some of the materials to use when you think of making an apartment balcony private. You don’t need to follow the illustration in the videos above as they are just general ideal.
The types of materials and how you will make your balcony private will be determined by the balcony styles you have. However, it is necessary to always go for flexible design options.
Such as blinds or curtains and many more, as they can roll-up or roll-down to enhance the outdoor area’s comfort. Also, if you are in a windy area, it will be more ideal to use rigid materials such as wood.
Nonetheless, we hope these ideas bring lasting solutions to your balcony, patio, or porch, and other outdoor areas you may have.